Top 5 Favourite Young Adult Books



This blog post is going to be a little different to my others. I have decided that makeup is not the only love in my life so I'm sharing my other interests with you as well. So for this post I’m going to be talking about my top 5 favourite Young Adult books. I love reading. Its something I thoroughly enjoy. If you can’t find me at my dressing table trying new makeup looks, i’ll be tucked away somewhere with a cup of tea, reading a book. 

I love all genres when it comes to books, although I do have an extreme liking of literature classics and young adult books. (Two very different sides of the spectrum). But if you’re young and want any easy read, or you just love a young adult book as much as I do, I hope I can help you find your next read.

These are in no particular order I’m just going with what’s on top of the pile next to me, and the first one is ‘Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon’. I read this whole book is one sitting and did not move for a couple of hours, I just couldn’t put this book down. It is centred around a young girl Maddy who is ‘allergic’ to the world and all it’s toxins and hasn’t left the house in seventeen years. She has a strong bond with her mother and her nurse Carla. Apart from these people, Maddy has no human interaction whatsoever; until Olly moves in next door. One thing I mainly love about this book, is although there is an absolute page turning plot, I love how light-hearted and humorous it is. This book is ultimately about what this one girl will do, to live one normal day. A great fast paced read.


Next we have ‘Orbiting Jupiter by Gary.D Schmidt’. This is my most recent read out of them all, and by far one of my favourites. This is another book I devoured in one sitting. This book tells the story of Joseph, 14 who has been in trouble and is now placed with a couple, who already have a son Jack, 12. This book hit me hard, like really hard. It follows Joseph on his journey of fitting in with a new family and into a new school, where no one wants to take a chance on him. During this time he is thinking of his baby daughter, Jupiter, who he has never met. This book touches so sensitively on the subject of teen parenthood and second chances. However my favourite thing about this book is the bond that grows between these two boys. I for sure had a little cry once I had finished this book. It took me a couple of days to pick up another book because this one just stayed with me. It’s not a long book, but don’t be fooled by that. The language is so simple but so heartfelt with a huge message.

The hardest read, although still super easy, is 'Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill'. This is another top favourite of mine. This story is a dystopian novel, set in a future where females are no longer born naturally, but instead 'created'. Only Ever Yours is centred around females who are raised in schools, learning the arts of beauty and pleasing men, for the first 16 years of their life. I almost imagine these schools to be labs, from Louise's description of 'mirrored surfaces everywhere'. These girls have no communication with the outside world, until they are in their final year of school. They are then introduced to boys of their age who will pick which girl they want to become their companion, which is basically their wives who will produce male heirs. 
The girls in the book all have names beginning with lower case letters to almost belittle them and to show that they are inferior to men. This book really touches on how cruel girls can be to each other, they are almost encouraged to criticise one another. It is all about who is the prettiest, has the best network of friends, and most importantly, who is ranked top. 
This is the most different of all the books, but a definite must read.

Another book by Nicola Yoon is 'The Sun Is Also A Star'. I received this book as a gift from my sister as I mentioned I loved Everything Everything. This is a story of Natasha who is about to be deported, and how she takes matters into her own hands to have this decision changed. Natasha believes in science and facts and how there is a logical explanation for everything that happens, and doesn't believe in having dreams. Although on the morning of her deportation, on her way to another appointment with immigration services, she meets Daniel. Daniel is the opposite to Natasha, and is a dreamer. He believes in fate and destiny and 'meant to be's'. The Sun Is Also A Star is about these two people both on their own paths and how they fall in love, all in a day. It is extremely cheesy and cliche, but cute as well. This book includes both Natasha and Daniel's point of view which I love, I hate reading a romance book and wanting to know what the other person in the couple is feeling, with this one you do.


I have saved my favourite for last which is 'All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven'. Now I have shedded a tear or two reading before, but I have never cried at a book so much as I did with this one. It is about Violet and Finch who meet on the belltower of their school. Violet has just lost her sister and is struggling with grief and Finch has a mental illness. This book is based on suicide and mental health and how two very different characters can come together to make such a difference two each other's lives. I feel if you have experience with loss, suicide or mental illness you will really relate to these characters. On the other hand, if you have thankfully not had experience with any of these, read this book as I think you will find this really eye opening. These characters are so likeable and they are both possibly two of my favourite characters in all books I've read. It was ridiculous how much I related to this book and I thank Jennifer Niven for telling this delicate story with such grace. I have persuaded my mum to read this book and she is currently making her way through the first half(not as quick as reader as I am), yet she already loves it. A definite page turner and one that pulls on your heart strings. If you read any, I beg that you read this book first. Get your tissues ready. 

That is my 5, and if you have any recommendations of any young adult book for me to read please let me know, I'm always on the hunt for a new book. Also let me know if you want to see more book blog posts, I've really enjoyed writing this for you all.

Thanks for reading x

0 comments